Fredrick Taylor – Excellerated the efficincy of workers and improved productivity. Workers would be trained to perform a specific set of tasks in the “best way” … similar to how Google was created to provide efficiency to users.
“In the past man has been first, in the future the system must be first” Do you agree?
Comparing Taylor with Google
- Google carries out thousands of experiments/tests – Taylor did the same
- Algorithm or set of instructions – Google believes that citizens are best guided by algorithms which is exactly what Taylor beleived
- Maximum speed, efficiency and output – Goals of both Taylor and Google
- Goal to adopt the best method
- The most efficient way – Both aimed at creating the best way of doing things
Google relies on cognitive psychology research to make people use their computers more efficiently. “Its the next best thing to actually being able to read their minds”
Larry Page – Founder of Google says:
- Google rganize the worlds information and makes it universally accessible
- Google wants to know where you are and what you need to better help you
- Google has made the internet more efficient in finding you information – engineered to produce better results
See more: Where’s Google going next?
Google Glass: Do you agree with this concept, will it benefit us or destroy us?
“To be up to date requires the continual monitoring of message alerts” How do you feel when you can’t monitor or view notifications? How do you feel when you don’t have any messages or notifications? *
Black Mirror: One episode that really got me thinking…
Do you think its possible for the world to be like this one day or does this already reflect our current society?
The Digitization of Books: Google’s effort to bring more efficiency
- Do you think in the future people will stop reading books and magazines because everything will be online and easily accessible?
“The contemplative mind is overwhelmed by the noisy world’s mechanical busyness”
The problem today is that we are losing our ability to balance the industrial and pastoral – the idea of efficiency and contemplation as two seperate states of mind. “Information overload is worse than ever”. We are flooded every moment by information when we are on the internet or smartphones. What happens if we start using google glass? What will be next?
“The ultimate search engine is something as smart as people or smarter”
Do you think computers will be able to replicate human thought?
Talk to a computer – Cleverbot responds to anything you type, it learns more from each person it talks to, it accesses thousands of conversations to come up with a response.
As computers get smarter what does this do to our brains? We are becoming consumed by technology, will it control us one day?